every few months we like to host a wine tasting event in the bungo-lo (our unique downstairs function suite). on tuesday 21 april we were joined by over 40 guests and of course our wine master for the evening, dan odfjell jnr (owner of the odfjell vineyards in santiago, chile). the odfjell family forged a unique reputation by rediscovering the forgotten wealth of chile’s winemaking past – they believe their carignan vines in cauquenes are the oldest in chile at over 100 years old!
flying over 7,000 miles from santiago to glasgow’s southside, dan took us on a journey of discovery sharing his knowledge of chilean wine. all while showcasing odfjell vineyards’ pioneering spirit which enables them to capture the best of chile in a bottle – yum!
to complement each wine, our head chef created a sumptuous 5 course tasting menu which went down a treat. here’s an insight into what our guests enjoyed at the tasting:
- sauvignon blanc, anconcagua
- this citrus saturated sauvignon is married with a chilean sea bass ceviche
- merlot, central valley
- a fruit concentrated merlot paired with costillar de chancho (pork ribs)
- syrah, central valley
- a full bodied wine served alongside humitas empanada (corn empanada)
- flying fish, central valley
- hints of chocolate and coffee this combines perfectly with slow cooked beef
- cabernet franc, maipo
- oaky with ripe berry twinned with chilean cheese and walnuts
mouth-watering? well, we’re delighted to be hosting another wine tasting experience in june. this time we will be taking you on a spanish journey to the condado de huelva winemaking region and specifically the bodegas conteras ruiz vineyard. stay tuned for more details!